If I have a complaint against a funeral director, embalmer, or a funeral establishment who should I contact?

First, discuss your problem with the funeral director and/or management of the funeral establishment. If you feel you were not treated fairly, the funeral director should be given the opportunity to correct the matter.

If this is not acceptable, you may file a complaint by completing this complaint form and email, fax or mail to the Oklahoma Funeral Board.

After we receive the complaint, the complaint will be acknowledged in writing, and respondent given the opportunity to respond to the allegations. The Board’s executive committee will review the complaint and response to determine whether an investigation is warranted. If warranted, an investigation will be made and a summary of the complaint sent to Board members.

If there are reasonable grounds for belief that a violation may have occurred the matter will be forwarded to the State Attorney General. It may be set for a hearing before the Board.

There is a possibility that the person who filed the complaint and other parties will need to appear at the hearing, but this is not always the case. You will be given ample notice should your presence at the hearing be required.

This process may take up to three months or longer in certain situations.

The Board will make findings of fact and conclusions of law based on the evidence presented at the hearing and will enter a order. The maximum penalty the Board may impose is a $10,000 fine and revocation of license.

The Board does not have the authority to award damages, settle contractual disputes, or offer legal advise. Contact a private attorney regarding these matters.


If I have a complaint against a cemetery, monument company, vault company or grave digger who should I contact?

Consumer Protection Division, Attorney General of Oklahoma
State Capitol, Room 112
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
(405) 521-4274.

The Funeral Board does not have jurisdiction over cemeteries, monument companies, vault companies, or grave diggers in Oklahoma.

If I have a complaint regarding a prepaid funeral whom should I contact?

Oklahoma Insurance Department

Oklahoma City Office Location:
Five Corporate Plaza
3625 NW 56th, STE 100
Oklahoma City, OK 73112

Local: (405) 521-2828
Toll Free: (800) 522-0071
Fax: (405) 521-6635

Tulsa Office Location:
4157 S. Harvard, Suite. 121
Tulsa, OK 74135
Local:  (918) 747-7700
Toll Free: (800) 728-2906
Fax: (918) 747-7720

Mailing Address:
Oklahoma Insurance Department
P.O. Box 53408
Oklahoma City, OK 73152-3408

Leave a Comment